Monday, June 8, 2009

Opting out - maybe there is no glass ceiling?

I find this article powerful. (thx Javed!)

I am one of those women he writes of.

I opted into motherhood in 1994 and my life was irrevocably changed.

At the time (1994) I gave birth, I was enrolled in a PhD program in engineering....in the area of Management of Technology.

At the boom of the internet age I was at the leading edge in a world class university (University of Waterloo)...but giving birth to a child changed all of my priorities ...I did not finish that doctorate. I have yet to see a female authoritative figure in this field and wonder if all of us just opted out.

My child is now 14.5 years old and I am re-emerging and wondering how many other women have made this choice (not choosing 45+ hour week day care and opting to stay mostly at home during formative years)....perhaps some of you have made similar choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments are basically unmoderated. Please do not contribute to the need for me to change that setting.